Game of Thrones Hodor Hold the Door Doorstops & Free Printables
It was a sad day indeed when the phrase “Hold the door!” became part of our culture. Never has there been a more beloved character than Hodor, the very large man with a very large heart who can only utter one word. This little doorstop is in honor of that great man. The graphic was drawn by our daughter Jennifer.
Hold the Door Doorstop Supplies
- Wood wedge aprox 4″ long and 1.5″ at high point
- 4″x6″ piece of 1/4″ wood. We used thin Lauan Plywood (Lowes has small sheets for $4.00)
- Free printables below
- Spray paint of choice. We used gold and silver.
- Thumb tacks silver or brass
- Wire cutters
- Wood or other strong glue
- Mod Podge
- Spray Adhesive (Used to apply the printables
- Clear Sealer (Optional. Helps prevent smearing when Mod Podging over printables)
Cut your wood. Wedges are super easy to cut. Any thin wood can be used for the 4×6 piece.
Sand your wood pieces.
Carefully cut out your graphic of choice.
Paint your wood and wedge.
We used spray adhesive to attach our printables. Spray them evenly or else they will bubble when you Mod Podge over them.
Attach your printables.
Thumbtacks with the ends clipped off make great embellishments. (You might recall we used them for our Recycle CDs Wall Pouches. )
The thumbtacks will have a small bit of the stem on them which can be pushed into softer wood. Otherwise you can glue them on.
You can also tap them in with a hammer.
Before using the Mod Podge make sure your ink is dry. It’s also helpful to spray a clear coat of sealer over the ink. This helps prevent smudging.
With long gentle strokes cover brush Mod Podge over the front of your doorstop.
Glue the wedge on with strong glue.