DIY Chandelier from Foam Board
This beautiful DIY chandelier is made from $3 foam board. It makes a wonderful accent to any room. We’ve got a free pattern in two sizes. You can hang it as is or add a little bling. We used some pieces from an old regular chandelier for the one shown.
If you’re into chandeliers check out our Ceiling Fan to Thrift Store Chandelier Makeover!
DIY Chandelier Supplies
- Foam board (These smaller size sheets work for both sizes of chandeliers.) Get a good quality foam board as cheaper types will not paint well.
- Utility knife (We used a Fiskar Fingertip Knife)
- Hot glue gun
- Paint of choice (We used gray paint though not this exact shade.)
- Rub N Buff (optional. We used silver Rub N Buff.)
- 1/4″ dowel This 12″ size will work for both sizes of chandeliers
- Screw eyelet for hanging
- Bling of choice. Teardrops. (We used 8 pieces from an old chandelier.)
Cut the pattern out. If you’re making the larger size, piece the pattern together. Trace the pattern four times onto the foam board.
Carefully cut out the pieces using a utility knife. Try to make very smooth even cuts.
After cutting it out, use the knife to even up edges or remove any pieces that stick out. This takes some time but will make the final chandelier look much nicer.
We used a grey paint that wasn’t too thick. Thick paint might bubble the paper. We wanted a light coat. Make sure you go over the edges of each piece.
After the paint dries, rub some Rub N Buff on very lightly using a dry tissue or paper towel. Do not coat it thickly. Just use light strokes.
Cut the dowel to fit the chandelier. Add an eye screw into the end for hanging.
Paint the dowel using the same method as your foam.
Lay the dowel against one foam piece and place small dabs of hot glue where it will attach. Press onto the foam.
Add the second piece of foam in the same manner.
Continue on with the third and fourth section.
You can leave it as is or add some bling. We had some crystal teardrops lying around so we attached four larger ones and four of the smaller ones.