Most Delicious Vegetarian Wrap Recipe Ever! Tortilla Boogies
We’ve been making Tortilla Boogies since the late 80’s, believe it or not. It’s truly the most delicious wrap recipe I’ve ever eaten. I learned about them from the best selling book at the time Fit For Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. This recipe was in that book and I still have my original copy shown here. The pièce de résistance of this dish are the BBQ onions. Oh…. my…. gosh…. they are SO good! We make the “fixings” in large batches and keep them in the fridge for quick lunches.
And a HUGE THANK YOU and shout out to the Diamond’s and their cutting edge book. It was considered ahead of it’s time back then but many of their concepts of food and diet has come to be proven valid. I credit them as being the catalyst that started me on a more healthy way of eating.
Because of how the flavors mix I’d suggest using every ingredient from my basic list. The seasoning Spike can be found in almost every grocery store and is a very healthy and wonderful alternative to just plain salt. I actually buy it in bulk because I use so much of it. Vegenaise is a non-dairy mayonnaise replacement. It’s a soy product and absolutely yummy! It is purchased at most stores that offer healthy selections and is found in the cold section. Also, if you steam veggies a lot one of these food steamers is invaluable. Mine gets used at least once a day. Toss your veggies in, set the time and come back when it dings.
The BBQ Onions are a must with this meal. They are delicious! Just saute your onions till cooked. We just do it in water. Then add some sweet BBQ sauce and stir it in.
The amounts on everything is not that important.
- 1-2 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
- 1 large Onion - sliced
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 24 oz Broccoli and Cauliflower (frozen or fresh)
- ½ cup Dill pickle slivers
- 2 cups Lettuce shredded
- ½ cup Avocado slices
- 1 package Tortillas - Corn (Large if you can find them)
- Vegenaise or another mayo replacement
- Spike (Seasoning)
- In a frying pan with a small amount of oil or water saute sliced onions with the BBQ sauce of your choosing. Cook till soft, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower till tender.
- Avocado Slices, Dill Pickle Slivers, Shredded Lettuce and BBQ Onions once cooked.
- Heat corn tortillas so they are softer. They tend to break apart easily. If desired you can brush a small amount of oil on one side of each and heat quickly in a pan or microwave. The oil helps them not to break apart easily when filled.
- Spread a small amount of Vegenaise on each tortilla. Add in other ingredients and top with the BBQ onions. Fold and eat!