Polenta Mexi-Meal Delicious Mexican Recipe
If you’re not familiar with polenta its basically boiled cornmeal. Now in and of itself that probably doesn’t sound too appetizing, but in reality it’s quite tasty. Cornmeal is a gluten free grain and can be used in a huge variety of ways, this delicious Mexican recipe is just one of them. (I love fried polenta slices with my favorite healthy sweetener, Xylitol, sprinkled on it.) Cornmeal is dirt cheap. Polenta tubes are a little more pricey for some odd reason. I paid $4.00 each. You can make the rolls yourself for a fraction of the cost. I found a recipe here and a brand new one here. (I’ve not tried them myself though.)
- 1 tube polenta (24 oz)
- 1 tablespoon healthy high heat oil of choice (canola, grapeseed, sunflower, regular olive oil (NOT virgin)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped or diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped or diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped or diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa
- Chopped cilantro, extra salsa. lime wedges.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cut polenta tube into about 14 to 16 slices. Brush a foil covered cookie sheet lightly with oil.
- Lay polenta side by side on sheet. Lightly brush the tops with oil.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes turning half way. You want them to start browning a little if possible. You can also fry them to make them brown quicker but baking uses less oil.
- Sauté onions until they soften and start to brown. Approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cayenne, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook for 30 seconds to release flavor.
- Add zucchini, red pepper. Stir for 3 minutes till the new veggies start to soften.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Mix the beans and the salsa in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook till hot, about 5 minutes.
- Place 4 slices of polenta on a plate. Top each with the salsa beans and then the veggies.
- If desired top with chopped cilantro and additional salsa. A wedge of lime can be served on the side for squeezing on top.