Quick Sweet & Sour Tempeh :: Opposites Attract
Virtual reality, tragic comedy, jumbo shrimp, living dead. All of these are apparent opposites that somehow go together, as does the flavors on this dish! It uses yummy Tempeh and the tangy flavor is just like you get in a Chinese restaurant. It’s quick to whip up. The only time consumer is if you use brown rice, which is my rice of choice. That takes a while to cook. However, I have a super duper rice cooker that makes that a breeze. Pop the rice and water in, hit the button and it its cooked to perfection every time. Totally hands off. Brown rice takes about an hour and 40 minutes so I just stick it in a couple hours before I start the meal.
- 2 tbsp. sweetener (I used Xylitol)
- ½ c. water
- 1 tbsp. healthy oil
- 2 tbsp. Braggs Amino Acids (or Tamari or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅓ c. rice vinegar
- ¼ c. ketchup
- 2 8 oz packages of tempeh cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 large green pepper cut into bit sized chunks or smaller
- 2 cup canned pineapple chunks drained. (Fresh pineapple is always preferable)
- 5 cloves sliced garlic
- cooked rice (I always use brown)
- Mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sweetener, cornstarch and water. Set it aside.
- Heat your oil in a large pan using medium high heat.
- Add in the tempeh, pineapple, garlic and the green pepper. Cook 5 or 10 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Stir up the sauce you set aside and pour over ingredients in the pan. Heat until it gets thick which happens quickly.
- Serve over rice.